Discord is a cross-platform chat application for the gamers. It offers the facilities of exchanging texts, audio and video content over a chat channel.
Though it is a really popular application, it is not free from occasional glitches.
Many users often complain that Discord won’t update. If you also face the same problem and tired with searching the solutions of this issue, then you have arrived at the right page.
Here in this post, you will know some amazing hacks which can help you to update Discord to its latest version. Hence, you are recommended to have a look at the article given below. So, let’s start.
Discord Won’t Download Update: Solve it with Amazing Hacks
There are a lot of ways to troubleshoot this problem. Hence, you should stick to the methods explained below:
Procedure 1: Check the Antivirus
Sometimes, Discord might not update due to the third-party antivirus program installed on your computer. Some antivirus program often conflicts with the update process. If you are utilizing any third-party antivirus program to protect your computer, then you should disable it to check if it can fix the issue or not.
Move the cursor to the system tray of the Taskbar and tap on the antivirus icon. If you see that the antivirus icon is missing, then tap on the upper arrow. It will show the hidden icons of the taskbar.
Now, right-click on the antivirus program and tap on the ‘Disable’ option. It will disable the antivirus protection on your computer. If the antivirus was the main culprit behind this problem, then after disabling the antivirus, you can update the Discord without any trouble.
But, if you face the same issue, then again go to the antivirus icon and enable it. After that, you should try the solutions stated below.
Procedure 2: Deactivate the Windows Defender Firewall
Due to the Firewall, you can also face this problem. It is also possible that the firewall may be blocking something in the background of the system. Hence, you should try to disable it to check if it can fix the issue.
To deactivate the firewall of the antivirus, you should invoke the antivirus application. Then, navigate to the gear-shaped Settings category. After that, you have to disable the Firewall or the option of Real Time Protection.
How do you Disable Windows Defender Firewall?
- At first, move the cursor to the bottom left corner of the screen and tap on the Start menu.
- Now, type “firewall” in the search bar of the Start menu. Tap on the ‘Firewall and Network Protection’ option.
- Here you will see a complete list of all available network connections on the system. Tap on the ‘Network connection’ to check which one is Active.
- Turn the Firewall slider off by going to the Windows Defender Firewall window.
- Now, you have to make sure that you have blocked all the incoming connection.
After that, you have to restart the system to save the changes. Now, you should try to update Discord to check if the issue has been resolved. But, if you see that the problem persists, then move on further with the next procedures.
Procedure 3: Run with the Admin Privileges
You can also fix this issue by running the Discord application with the Admin privileges. To perform this, you should follow the steps mentioned below:
- First, you have to make sure that you have closed the Discord completely and there is no Discord icon showing on the Taskbar.
- Now, move the cursor to the bottom of the display and right-click on the Taskbar. Choose the ‘Task Manager’ option from the list.
- Next, you have to look for the process related to the Discord and finish it.
- Restart the system.
- After rebooting the system, right-click on the Discord application and choose the ‘Run as Administrator’ option from the list to run the Discord with admin privilege.
Procedure 4: Reinstall Discord
According to some users, they have fixed this issue by updating the Discord to the latest version. Hence, you can simply download it and install it by following the on-screen guidance. Here are the steps you should follow:
- In the beginning, download the newest version of the Discord application by going to the official website of Microsoft.
- Then, you should run the installer by following the on-screen guidance. Allow the system to continue with the installation if you notice a warning notification.
After completing the installation procedure, you should restart the system to save the changes. Now, check if the issue has been fixed or not. If the problem still exists, then further with the methods stated below.
Procedure 5: Rename the Update File
By renaming the updated ‘.exe’ file by going to the AppData Local folder, you can also solve this issue. After that, you have to run the installer and then try to update the Discord. To perform this, you need to follow the steps given below:
- First, hit “R” and Windows key, both at the same time from the keyboard to launch the Run Command box.
- Now, type “%LocalAppData%” in the Run Dialog box. Press the Enter key from the keyboard to proceed further. Else, you can also tap on the OK button.
- Search for the Discord folder by going to the Local folder. Open it by clicking twice on it.
- Next, you have to find the ‘Update.exe’ file. Then, right-click on it and choose the ‘Rename’ option from the list.
- Set the name to ‘Update1.exe’ or ‘UpdateX.exe’ or anything else.
- After that, open the Discord application and try to install the available update. Or if you prefer, you can also download the newest version by visiting the official website of Microsoft.
After completing the above steps, you should check if the issue has been fixed or not. If the problem persists, then you should perform further solutions.
Procedure 6: Uninstall Discord and Delete Local App Data
After trying all the solutions stated above, if you still have the same problem, you should try to remove the local files from the computer to check if it can solve the problem. You can do it by performing the steps as follows:
- In the beginning, hit the “R” and Windows Key simultaneously from the keyboard to launch the Run box.
- Type, “%LocalAppData%” in the Run box. Press the Enter key from the keyboard to navigate to your target page.
- Find the Discord folder from the current window and right-click on the Discord folder. Choose the ‘Delete’ option from the list.
- Next, you have to launch the Run box again and type “%appdata%.” tap on the OK button to proceed further.
- Now, you should right-click on the Discord folder. Tap on the ‘Delete’ option.
- After deleting the folders, you have to download the Discord application again by visiting the official website of Microsoft.
Now, install the Discord application and restart the system to save the changes. Now, you should try to update the Discord app to check whether the issue has been resolved.
In the above post, we have described some foolproof method to update Discord. It is our hope that if you successfully execute the above-mentioned ways in their corresponding order, then it will surely assist you to ease up your pain about this.
Sometimes, it also becomes difficult to perform the above ways by yourself. In this juncture, you should connect with a tech expert. In addition, you can also share your doubts and valuable feedback through the comment section given at the end of this guide.