At times, you’d require to inspect the essential technical components of your system. This is just to keep things in order or when you add or change a fresh memory stick. This necessitates you to look up to know “how to check RAM type in Windows 10?”
There exist about 24 specifications of RAM, for instance, DDR, DDR2, EDRAM, SDRAM.
Also, there exist, in your system, plenty of integrated systems which can bring you the information through PowerShell, Command Prompt and the Task Manager.
In this article, we present a detailed and comprehensive guide to determining the type of RAM that your Windows 10 system possesses. But, prior to that, you must note down the fundamentals regarding RAM itself.
With this understanding, you will know what you are seeking and how the knowledge of it would benefit you.
Therefore, head to the following section which contains the diverse ways to check RAM for a proper and organized knowledge.
4 Effective Procedures on “How to Check RAM type DDR2 or DDR3 in Windows 10?”
Before beginning with the procedures, let us throw some light on and feed you with the fundamental information regarding RAM itself.
RAM is the initials of Random Access Memory which is incorporated as a temporary memory storage by the CPU in order to make the performance faster.
The type of RAM has the potential to determine and identify the quality of memory chip, SDRAM, DDR, and RDRAM.
However, let us begin with the procedures of checking the RAM type DDR2 or DDR3 in Windows 10 systems.
Procedure 1: Locate by Employing Task Manager
- On the Taskbar, right-click on any empty space only to notice a list of options manifest. From there, select the Task Manager.
- The window of Task Manager appears but with the Processes bar open. So, you’d have to switch to the Performance section which is right beside the former one.
- Therein, click on the option of Memory present in the left pane of the Performance tab. And in there, on the top right side, you’d notice the RAM type as well as the size.
Also, in case you demand extra information, for instance, the number of slots, cached memory, committed memory, then make sure to go down to the Graphical representation.
There are other alternatives which you can use to check the type as well as the size of the RAM.
Procedure 2: Via the Command Prompt
Using the Command Prompt is yet another method to know the RAM type. For this, try to implement the underlying procedures:
- Firstly, head to the Start menu and in the search option, type cmd to fetch the Command Prompt.
- A UAC pop-up manifests at once so choose Yes to that.
- Now, once the Command Prompt at the top of the results, don’t click! Simply do a right-click in order to choose the Run as administrator.
- When the Command Prompt appears, type the command: “wmic MemoryChip get MemoryType”
- You notice a number representation which denotes the RAM type. 21 is for DDR2 and DDR3, it is 24.
Through Command Prompt, it is very easy to check the type provided you know the codes and what it indicates.
However, if this procedure did not serve you with your query on “how to check RAM type DDR2 or DDR3 in Windows 10?”, the next alternative surely would.
Therefore, head to that!
Procedure 3: Through PowerShell
There are only a few commands of PowerShell which deliver you the entire story of the RAM’s size, type, slots manufacturer, number, speed, serial number.
Also, it requires less effort when compared to the use of Command Prompt since you can launch it simply using the Start menu.
And therefore, we present you the way by which you can check the fundamentals of the RAM your system holds. Simply stick through the dedicated steps and implement them with care:
- Head to the Windows icon present on the extreme left at the screen’s bottom. Therein, search for the PowerShell. Also, you simply do a right-click on the taskbar and fetch the list of options from which you must select the Windows PowerShell.
- Then, on the pop-up of User account control, proceed to select Yes.
- Now, this will bring up the window of the Administrator: Windows PowerShell. To this, you just type in a certain command. You might as well simply paste the following there: “Get-WmiObject Win32_PhysicalMemory”
- Also, there is another command which can serve you better. You can paste either of them: “Get-WmiObject Win32_PhysicalMemory | select BankLabel,DeviceLocator,Capacity,SMBIOSMemoryType,Manufacturer,PartNumber,SerialNumber,TotalWidth,Speed”
Doing this will bring up some details underneath. From the list, you will notice the MemoryType indicating a number.
Now, as said earlier, if the number is 21, it signifies the presence of DDR2 and if it is 24, the system holds a DDR3.
For this, if you desire to seek professional assistance, you can simply head for that as well.
However, there are other alternatives through which you can attain your answer that you long for. Underlying are some more, therefore, stick through.
Procedure 4: Using Settings
The integrated program of Settings has the section of About which holds information regarding the installed RAM. In order to view the type using this application, read the steps:
- Firstly, press and hold down the Windows key as well as the “I” button on the keyboard in unison.
- Then, once the Windows Settings manifests, proceed to select the System.
- Head to the left pane on the successive screen. Then, scroll down in order to click on the About section.
- Next, move to the side opposite to it and locate the installed RAM in order to determine the dimension of the memory.
- Now, in case you desire to see similar information on the Control Panel, make sure to click on System info.
- Also, you can receive access through the same location, alternatively, by going to the Control Panel and then to the System.
This procedure is sure to bring about the information you long for. The answers to your searches regarding “how to check RAM type DDR2 or DDR3 in Windows 10?” are all here in this article itself.
Procedure 5: Using System Information
Through the System Information, too, one can receive the information in detail about the RAM their system possesses.
This is a tool which, basically, reveals a report of the configuration of the computer system encompassing the hardware resources, the components, the RAM and the software environment.
Furthermore, you can find the volume which is installed on your computer system. However, to do this, the underlying guide will help you comprehensively:
Therefore, go through it:
- Press and hold the Windows key and along with that, hit the “R” button as well in unison.
- This brings up the Run window and in its search box, you must type “msinfo32” and then press the Enter button.
- Now, this brings up the window of the System Information. From there, your task is to locate the Installed Physical Memory which is the RAM as well as its volume.
In this way, you can simply get the answer with convenience. And of all these alternatives, you can choose anyone and that is a decision which we leave it to you.
To your query regarding “how to check RAM type DDR2 or DDR3 in Windows 10?”, we have shared the answer and thus, the solution.
And it is upon you to handpick any one alternative that we listed here in this article with the essential details.
Moreover, we present all the effective ways using the integrated applications of your system which serves you well, so that you have all the options open.
However, now you will receive all your answers regarding the RAM details in one go.
For this, you can also employ the expert guidance of a technical professional who can guide you well, if the different procedures did not serve their purpose.