Is the error 0x8000ffff causing you problems while trying to update Windows?
Then, let us tell you that it is rather simple to fix it and get the updates working again. But for that, you are going to need comprehensive technical instructions.
Windows operating systems are the most popular in the world and have a lot of great features. People around the world use this in the computers of their homes and offices.
But even with all of that, you still might face issues from it every once in a while. The 0x8000ffff Windows 10 update issue is one among them and will cause problems with the updates.
But with the instructions that we have given here, it is going to be very easy for you to fix the issue promptly. Furthermore, you will be able to fix this all by yourself and that also, right from your home. And thus, get all the necessary updates working again.
So, let us go ahead and find out more about this.
Why the System Restore Error 0x8000ffff is Occurring
Before we go ahead and check what the solutions to this issue are going to be. It is very important to know why this problem is occurring in the first place.
That will help you avoid a lot of the issues that might have come your way otherwise.
Also, since the instructions that you are going to find here are rather technical. Having a solid understanding of why the error 0x8000ffff is occurring will help. So, in this way, you will understand them better and thus be able to implement them in a much easier fashion.
As always, like most other error code issues, this particular error has a common cause, which is malware. If these happen to be there in your system, then it will create corrupt system files. And these corrupt system files will, in turn, cause this error message to show.
Then, the date and time setting of your computer is a critical factor for proper functioning. If that is wrong by a significant margin, then that can trigger this error code issue as well.
After that comes the issue with cache memory, which if you have not cleaned up in a while. Then, it can very well cause this error message to show up. And because of that, you are not going to be able to get the updates for Windows 10.
If you happen to have certain programs running in your system which are problematic. Then, that also is capable of causing problems in your system. These will otherwise aggravate and in that way cause this error code to occur in your system.
So, now that we have covered all the possible reasons why this issue is occurring. It is now time to go ahead and take a look at the solutions for this.
How to Resolve the Error 0x8000ffff Issue Step by Step?
In this section of the article, let us go ahead and take a look at the solutions to this issue. It will be best if you know what the exact cause of this issue is in your case. That way, you will be able to go and apply the solutions for it right away.
But, if you do not have that information, then do not worry. Just keep applying the solutions one after the other and that will fix the issue.
Get an Upgrade in-place
This is a very viable solution to this problem as it will resolve the error code issue right away. To do this, here are the steps which you are going to need:
- Get the Media Creation Tool from the official website of Microsoft, and then start it.
- After you have started it, look for the Upgrade this PC now option. Then wait for the system to get all the necessary system files together.
- Select the Download and install updates(recommended) after this. Then wait till the process is complete.
- Now, what you will have to do is follow the instructions which are going to come up on the screen.
- You will come across the Ready to install window. Select the Change what to keep option.
- Then choose the Keep personal files and apps option, and finish by clicking on the Next option.
You will have to follow all the on-screen instructions from there on. That is going to complete the process once and for all and resolve the error 0x8000ffff issue.
Delete all the Problematic Programs
We use a lot of different programs on our Windows 10 PCs for various purposes. And some of them can cause error code issues of which this is one.
So, to fix that you will have to remove those particular applications and that will do the trick. Here are all the steps you will need for that:
- First, you will have to go to the C:$WINDOWS.~BTSourcesPanther directory. You will see that the default visibility is hidden, so you can use this path to find it.
- Look for the <array_of_symbols>_APPRAISER_HumanReadable file to open it up in Microsoft Notepad.
- Now, look for the BlockingApplication=True applications and delete them one after another.
Thus, you will be able to fix this particular error code issue by getting rid of the problematic programs.
Make a New Administrator Account
A wrong user account in operation can also cause this issue, and if that be the case. You will have to create a new account with proper administrator access.
Here are all the steps which you are going to need for that:
- Open up the Settings app by pressing on the Windows key and the I key together.
- Once you are here, find your way to the Accounts section, and in that choose the Family & other people option. You are going to find it on the left side of the screen.
- On the right-hand side of the window, choose the Add someone else to this PC option.
- Now click on the I don’t have this person’s sign-in information option.
- You will now have to create a Microsoft account for that. Click on the Add a user without a Microsoft account option.
- In the window that comes up after that, type in the username that you want to in the necessary section. Click on the Next button after that.
- To make this new account the administrator account, choose the Change account type option.
- Choose the Account type as the Administrator, which is going to be there on the list.
- Click on the OK button to finish the process.
Thus, you will be able to fix this issue and be able to restore your system again.
Use the Windows Safe Mode with Networking to Boot
The Safe Mode feature of Windows 10 is very useful and to use it in this case. Here are all the steps that you are going to need:
- Open up the Settings section from the Windows Start menu.
- Select the Update & Security option and then open up the Recovery section. Click on the Restart Now option in the Advanced Startup tab.
- When your PC restarts, select the Troubleshoot option and then select the Advanced Options.
- Now, click on the Startup Settings option and click on the Restart button after that.
- After the second restart of your PC, select the Safe Mode with Networking option.
This completes the process and after this, you will be able to get all the necessary system updates again.
Reset the Store Cache
If there be a lot of data in the Store Cache of Windows, then that can also cause this problem.
So, you will have to clean this up and here are the steps you are going to need for that:
- Press the Windows key and the R key at the same time to bring up the Run dialogue box.
- There, type in the command WSReset.exe and then hit the Enter key.
- This is going to start the process of clearing up the Windows Store Cache.
This is very likely going to fix the problem at hand, but if it does not. Then, go to the next solution on this list.
Make the Date & Time Setting of your System Right
This plays a key part in the proper functioning of the system and is especially important for updates. As they have a lot to do with the date and time setting.
So to fix that, here are all the steps that you are going to need:
- Look for the clock icon on the bottom right corner of the home screen and right-click on it.
- From the menu that comes up, choose the Adjust date/time option.
- Now look for the Set time automatically option and once you find it, deactivate it.
Just wait for some time before you turn it back on once again.
This is going to fix the error 0x8000ffff issue in your Windows 10 PC. And with that, you will be able to get the necessary updates again.
Now, we have covered all the possible solutions for the error 0x8000ffff issue. With this, you will be able to fix the problem easily and without a hassle.
But if none of these have worked, that means there might be a different problem altogether. And to find out more about that, you will need the help of expert professionals.
Do not hesitate from getting the best tech support services you can. As that will spare you a lot of hassle.