The error 0x8024200d is one of the numerous Windows update errors which the users encounter frequently. The Windows Update errors are of different kinds. Some tend to halt the process of update halfway through the session. While some tend to crash on the users’ input of initiating the update.
That is the reason that plenty of different error codes exist solely to indicate the problem in Windows Update. This particular error is the one that flashes before the users while the system performs a Windows update.
This error makes the users anxious and seeks immediate fixes to troubleshoot the problem. You can directly skip to the solution without giving a basic read to know what the error denotes. Now, doing that would simply delay the troubleshooting process since you’d be ending up performing plenty of mistakes as well.
However, the next section leads you the basics of the error and the potential causes which can lead up to the complication.
More About the Error 0x8024200d: Its Implications and the Probable Causes
The code denotes, as from our discussion in the earlier section, is associated with the Windows Update. The system manifests this error message before the readers when the system fails to process the update session. This issue is simply annoying since it hinders, at times, the functioning of other applications as well.
Now, it can happen due to plenty of reasons. The presence of missing or corrupted files is one of them. If this is the case, a reinstallation can troubleshoot it. Moreover, the outdated driver can also be responsible for this issue and make the users anxious and perplexed. Also, the presence of malware can trigger this problem.
However, the next section holds the essential procedures required to treat the complaint of the users stating that Windows failed to install the update with error 0x8024200d with convenience. And if you seek solutions, stick to the underlying procedure and implement them with care.
Effective Procedures which can Troubleshoot the 0x8024200d Error Code:
In order to treat this annoying error, the users tend to immediately seek help. But, this article makes sure that the users know the fundamentals before heading to the solutions. So, the users now are well aware of the particular error code’s indications as well as the causes which can lead up to the error.
However, makes an attempt with the underlying methods in order to troubleshoot the annoying error completely.
Procedure 1: Run SFC Scan
This is one of the most effective ones that we have listed. Running this scan tends to locate the missing files and then substitute them. We will show you the process to employ the Administrator’s mode in order to run the SFC scan. Therefore, read the underlying procedure.
- Press and hold down the Windows button and then hit the R button on the keyboard to open the Run window. Therein, type “cmd” which brings up the Command Prompt. Also, simply head to the Start menu and search for it there.
- When the list of results appears, make sure to right-click on the Command Prompt in order to choose the Run as Administrator option.
- Therein, you must type a certain command and after that, hit the Enter button. The command: “C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow”. Then, wait for the scan to finish its session.
Doing this can locate the faulty files and troubleshoot them successfully. After this, you can resume or retry the update session once again.
The common complaint of the users who state that Windows failed to install the update with error 0x8024200d is very annoying and this procedure is sure to treat it properly. But, if nothing comes up, make sure to head to the successive method. However, if you desire to consult a technical professional to treat the problem, you can feel free to do that.
Their expert guidance solves it at one go.
Procedure 2: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows systems arrive with plenty of integrated tools for troubleshooting which are beneficial and convenient for the non-tech savvy users. Therefore, we have added this tool to our list of effective methods.
- Firstly head to the Start menu and locate the Windows Update Troubleshooter. It can easily detect the faulty root and make sure to eradicate it.
- However, click on it in order to run the troubleshooter and hit the Next option.
- In case, there exists a more latest version of the Windows Update troubleshooter, click on it to run.
- The troubleshooter performs a check for the updates available for the computer system which you own.
- Finally, click on Apply this fix in order to start the process of update in the background.
This induces the Troubleshooter to resolve the issue so that you can resume with the earlier seamless functions of the system. Restart the system and make an attempt to initiate the Windows update. Most probably, the issue is sure to go away.
However, if it doesn’t, the next procedure is ready to fight it off. Moreover, if you desire to employ the help of a technical expert, you can very well do it.
Procedure 3: Restarting the Windows Update Service
If the problem lingers, you must restart the Windows update service in order to resolve this issue.
- Firstly, on the keyboard, press and hold the Windows logo button and hit the R button. This launches the Run dialog box in which you must type what you want to summon.
- Therein, type “services.msc” and then hit the Enter button in order to launch the Services window.
- Then, right-click on the Windows Update and then select the Stop in case the existing status is Running. In case, the Update service fails to run, skip it.
- Press the Windows button along with E on your keyboard in order to launch the File Explorer.
- Then, copy the underlying path and paste it on the Address bar. After that, hit the Enter button present on your keyboard in order to go to the folder of DataStore. The path: “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore”.
- In the folder DataStore, delete all the files. Then, once again launch the File Explorer and paste the path “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download” in the Address bar.
- In the Download folder, delete all the files and in the Services window, proceed to right-click on the Windows Update and then choose to Start.
Finally, inspect the Windows update in order to check if you can initiate the Windows Update or not. The next method is what you can try if this fails to yield desirable results.
Procedure 4: Delete the Existing Download Update and Download the Windows Update Files Again
If you have read the section where we have discussed the reasons for this error to manifest, you’ll know the significance of this procedure. At times, some files tend to go missing or becomes faulty. It is the presence of such corrupted files which induces annoying malfunctions and their resultant issues.
Moreover, the faulty files require serious fixing so that you can resume the earlier workflow. For this, you must follow the underlying steps correctly.
- Firstly, press and hold down the Shift key and then click on the Restart button present in the Windows Start menu. Doing this will bring the troubleshooter when your system restarts.
- Then, choose Troubleshoot when the computer system boots. After that, opt for the Advanced option and head to the Startup Settings.
- Next, click on Restart. Now, when the system reboots, press the F4 button in order to select the option to Enable Safe Mode.
- After that, head to the address “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download” during the time when your system is in Safe Mode. And it is there where the update files are located.
- Next, delete the folder’s contents. Then, reboot the computer into normal mode.
- After that, navigate to the Settings and then to the Update & Security. Further, proceed to choose the option to Check for updates and then Update process once again.
Windows tends to download the files which would substitute the faulty with the fresh ones. Now, this would solve the frustrating error completely.
The procedures are very effective in attending to your complaints which you state saying that Windows failed to install the updates with error 0x8024200d. And if you adhere to each step with care and caution, you can easily troubleshoot the issue. We encourage the users to make attempts to attend to it on their own with the guidance of the above-mentioned methods.
However, if the problem persists and refuses to go away, you must employ the expert assistance of a technical professional. They tend to treat the problem and serve you with the solutions in a hassle-free manner. In this way, you can solve the issue completely and comprehensively preventing the situation to arise once again.