At the time of upgrading or while installing, if some important system files get corrupted and Windows upgrade detects it. It immediately stops the procedure and the device encounters an error message showing “Windows update error 0x80073712”.
It means an important file, which is needed by the Windows Setup, is damaged or has gone missing. This error can occur in between of any random update process.
If you are stuck with this error and looking for a way to resolve it, you can go through this article. It will also aid you if you get this error anytime in the future. So, let’s focus on the troubleshooting procedure at first.
3 Notable Fixes for 0x80073712
Here are some easy methods, which you can utilize to resolve this particular error on your own. So, try to follow the methods whichever looks convenient for you.
Method 1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows update troubleshooter is a useful troubleshooting tool which helps the Windows users to resolve common Windows update issues. In order to perform update troubleshooter, try out these steps:
- At first, on your keyboard, you need to press the Windows logo key and type “troubleshoot”. After that, tap on the troubleshoot option.
- After that, tap on the Windows Update and tap on the Run the troubleshooter option.
- Once you complete all of these steps, you need to follow the onscreen instructions to perform the troubleshooting process.
- After completing all of these steps, you need to restart your computer and try to perform Windows Update again and hopefully, you will be able to fix this error.
Method 2: Perform SFC Scan
System File Checker is a useful feature of Windows which helps you to scan your system files and repair missing or corrupted system files. In order to perform this action, try out these steps:
- First of all, using your keyboard, tap and hold the Windows logo key and type “cmd”. After that, right click on the Command Prompt and tap on the Run as administrator option.
- Tap on the Yes button when you are prompted to confirm the action.
- After that, in the command prompt window, you need to type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to continue.
- Well, it will take some time to locate and replace corrupted system files. Be patient until your device completes this procedure.
- Now, you need to restart your device and check whether you are able to fix 0x80073712 or not. If this method fails to resolve the issue, go through the next one.
Method 3: Run DISM Tool
DISM or Deployment Image & Servicing Management is a handy tool which helps you to resolve Windows corruption based errors. To run this utility, go through these steps:
- Firstly, on your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type “cmd”.
- You will be able to see the Command Prompt application in the best match section.
- Right click on the Command Prompt and tap on the Run as administrator button.
- Now, type “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” and hit Enter to continue.
- Wait until this whole process finishes. After that, you need to restart your computer and the SFC scan again, so that it can help you to replace any corrupted files with the correct ones.
- After that, check for the Windows update and see whether it works.
Method 4: Delete the Windows Update Cache
You can also resolve this issue by deleting the Windows Update Cache. There are the steps using which you can perform this action:
- Using your keyboard, tap on the Windows logo key and the “R” at the same time to launch the Run dialogue box. After that, copy and paste “services.msc” in the box and tap on the OK button to continue.
- Scroll down to the bottom and right click on the Windows Update and tap on the Stop button.
- After that, you need to press the Windows logo key and the “R” key at the same time to launch the Run dialogue box. After that, you need to copy and paste C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download in the box and hit Enter to continue.
- Now, you need to press the Ctrl and “A” and the same time and right click to pop up a menu and tap on the Delete button.
- When you are asked to provide administrator permission, you need to make the box be checked against Do this for all current items and tap on the continue option.
- Now, you need to go back to the Services window and right-click on Windows tap on the Start button.
Well, after performing all of these steps, you will be able to resolve this error on your own.
Sum It Up
After going through this article, hopefully, you will be able to fix Windows update error 0x80073712. If you need any expert advice while performing the troubleshooting process, then you can directly contact an expert who can guide you for further. In that case, let’s conclude this post here and stay glued with us to get more effective posts at your fingertips.