Windows users often face the error code 0xc0000005 while trying to open or run any application or program. When this issue arises, it prevents users to launch several applications. At this juncture, you have the option to tap on the OK button.
Sometimes, this issue occurs while trying to use any in-built tool of Windows Operating System. If you also face the same issue and tired of searching the solutions for this issue, then nothing to get worried about this.
Here, in this post, you will know some of the amazing tips and tricks that can help you to troubleshoot this error. Hence, it is recommended to have a look at the guide provided below.
What Causes the Error Code 0xc0000005?
Before going to implement the troubleshooting hacks, it is essential to identify the reasons for which the error occurs. There are several causes behind this error. Let’s have a look at the causes pointed below:
- Due to the third-party antivirus program, you can face this error.
- If the registry files of the system get corrupted, then also you can face this issue.
- Because of the corrupted, incorrect or faulty drivers of the system, you can also encounter this error.
- If the programs that are installed on your computer are not updated properly, then it also might be the reason behind this issue.
Apparently, there is no specific reason for this error. Now, you are aware of the probable reasons behind this issue. Hence, you just need some hacks to troubleshoot this error.
Easy Tips and Tricks to Fix the Application was Unable to Start Correctly 0xc0000005:
Depending on the several causes, there are a lot of ways to troubleshoot this error. Hence, stick to the troubleshooting methods explained below:
Procedure 1: Run the SFC or System File Checker
System File Checker is an in-built tool of Windows Operating System that helps the users to scan the computer for any corrupted system files. SFC also has the ability to fix the damaged system files of the system.
How to Run the System File Checker?
- At first, move the cursor to the bottom left corner of the window and click on the Start menu.
- Then, type “cmd” on the Search bar of the Start menu. Right-click on the Command Prompt option showing as the search result.
- Choose the ‘Run as Administrator’ option from the list to open the command prompt window with Administrator’s privilege.
- Now, type “sfc/scannow” on the Command Prompt window and hit the Enter key from the keyboard to execute the command.
- Now, the System File Checker started to scan the system for any damaged or corrupted system files. It will also fix the corrupted or damaged system files, if it finds any.
- After completing the scanning procedure, you should exit from the current window and restart the system to apply the changes.
Now, you should check whether the error has been resolved or not. If the issue persists, then move on to further solutions described below.
Procedure 2: Using Windows Defender
Sometimes, virus or malware prevents the system to access multiple programs, applications, and tools. Hence, you can run a full scanning of the system to check if it can make any changes.
Here, you can get the help of the Windows Defender. It is an in-built antivirus application that protects the system against any unwanted viruses, spyware, or other dangerous software. Else, you can also run another third-party antivirus programs, if they are installed on the system.
How to Run Windows Defender?
- Go to the Start menu.
- Type “virus” on the Search bar of the Start menu.
- Tap on the ‘Virus and Threat protection’ option showing as the search result.
- On the next window, navigate to the ‘Advanced Scan’ option.
- Now, you should tap on the ‘Full scan’ option.
- Click on the ‘Scan now’ button.
- Now, the Windows Defender starts to scan the entire system for any malware or virus. If it succeeds in locating any virus or malware, then it will eliminate them.
After that, restart the system to save the changes. Now, you should check whether the error code has been fixed or not. If you see that the issue still occurs, then go to the further solutions stated below.
Procedure 3: Disable the Data Execution Prevention
If you face this error while trying to open any specific app or program, then you should try to combine the error with an exception in Data Execution Prevention or DEP.
Data Execution Prevention is an in-built safety utility of Windows Operating System that can help you to protect the system from any unwanted viruses or security warnings. To deactivate this, you should perform the steps listed below:
- At first, press the R and Windows key both at the same time from the keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
- Now, type “sysdm.cpl” on the Run Command box. Press the Enter key from the keyboard to go to your target page.
- It will navigate you to the System Properties window. Navigate to the ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Tap on the ‘Preferences’ option and then click on the gear-shaped ‘Settings’ icon.
- After that, go to the ‘Data Execution Prevention’ tab from the next window.
- Now, tick the box that prompts ‘Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.’
- Tap on the ‘Add’ button.
- Navigate to the ‘.exe’ folder of the application that is the principal reason for this error, select it and tap on the Open button.
- Now, click on the ‘Apply’ option to apply the changes.
- Exit from the System Properties window.
After that, you should check whether the error still appears or not. It the error occurs, then go to the further solutions discussed below.
Procedure 4: Fix BCD
According to some users, they have solved this issue by fixing BCD. You have to re-activate the Windows Operating System after performing this method. To perform this, have a glance at the steps mentioned below:
- In the beginning, hit the X and Windows Key simultaneously from the keyboard. Select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list. Else you can also open the Command Prompt by navigating to the Start menu.
- Now, type “bcdedit” on the Command Prompt window and hit the Enter from the keyboard to execute the command. If the Windows Boot Loader Path is ‘xOsload.exe’, then you need to eliminate some files and then repair the BCD. You will see this in the PATH field, after running the bcdedit command.
- Once done, run the commands given below. Press the Enter key after each command to execute them.
1st: Del D:\Windows\System32\xOsload.exe
2nd: Del D:\Windows\System32\xNtKrnl.exe
3rd: Del D:\Windows\System32\Drivers\oem-drv64.sys
4th: attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
5th: ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
6th: bootrec /rebuildbcd
After that, close the Command Prompt window and restart the system to apply the changes. Now, you should try to open an application to check if the error persists or not. If the error still appears, then go to the further methods provided below.
Procedure 5: Restore the System
After completing the above techniques, if you still encounter the same error, then you have to restore the system to its previous state. To perform the system restoration procedure, you have to create a Restore point.
By creating the Restore point, you can bring back the system to its initial working position. It does not put any harmful effect on the files or data of the system.
How can you Restore the Computer to its Initial Position?
- First, launch the Run box by pressing the R and Windows key simultaneously from the keyboard.
- Now, type “rstrui.exe” in the Run Command box. Press the Enter key from the keyboard to go to your target page. It will transfer you to the System Restore window. Click on the Next option.
- If there is available any Restore point on your computer, then you will see that on the list.
- Now, tick the checkbox that prompts ‘Show more restore points.’ It will show other restore points that are available on the system.
- Select the Restore point that matches you the best (depending on the time when it was built).
- Click on the Next option. Then, you have to confirm the Restore point of your computer and tap on the Finish button.
After that, you should close the current window and try to launch any program to check whether this issue has been resolved.
In the above post, we have described some of the easiest ways to troubleshoot the application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000005. We hope that after performing the above ways, it will definitely assist you to put an end to this error.
After implementing the above-mentioned ways or while performing the above ways, if you face any kinds of trouble, then you should connect with a tech expert. In addition, you can also share your doubts and valuable feedback through the comment section given at the end of this guide.