Windows 10 is one of the most popular Operating System that is available in the market. Due to this system software’s easy user interface, update capabilities and various other features, it has garnered a lot of attention.
However, there are many features within the Windows 10 Operating System. But in order to get into the desktop and access the computer, you need the Sign-in or username password. And this password can be altered by you in various ways.
Here, in this article, you will get various guidelines on how to change the username of Windows 10. Follow the guide and implement it accordingly.
How to Change the Windows 10 Username?
This section of the article will provide you with effective hacks on the way to change the Windows 10 username.
The Process to Alter Username via Control Panel
The following steps will help you to change the username of the computer via the Control Panel. In order to do that, follow the steps given below.
- First, hit the ‘Cortana’ logo on the taskbar in order to launch the ‘Search’ section. Then, inside that section, type in the following text “control panel”.
- Next, from the result of that search, choose the option ‘Control Panel’. As soon as you do that, then a new window will appear named ‘Control Panel’.
- In this window, there will be various settings categories of the computer, which can be altered by you at your will. Out of all those settings categories, choose the one that says ‘User Accounts and Family Safety”.
- Now, a new page will come up within that window, where you have to choose the ‘User Accounts’ option. After that, when another page comes up that has a name ‘Make changes to your user account’, in it, select the ‘Change your account name’ link.
- On the next page with the heading ‘Type a new account name’, input the name of your preference on the textbox that is present.
- Finally, at the bottom of that page, select the ‘Change Name’ button and reboot your system.
Alter the Name Using the Local Group Policy Editor
Here, in this method, you will get steps on how to change the username on Windows 10. Here are the steps on how to do it.
- First, tap on the combination of both keys ‘Windows + R’. This will open up the ‘Run’ dialog box.
- Inside that dialog box, on the right side of the ‘Open:’ label, type in the ‘gpedit.msc’ and then tap on the ‘OK’ button. This action will launch the new ‘Local Group Policy Editor’ window.
- Within that window, go to the left panel, and then double-click on the following folders – “Computer Configuration”, “Windows Settings”, “Security Settings”, “Local Policies”, “Security Options”, “Accounts: Rename administrator account”.
- Once you have found the “Accounts: Rename administrator account” then double-click on it. This action will open a new dialog box with the name ‘Accounts: Rename administrator account Properties’.
- Inside this dialog box, click on the ‘Local Security’ Setting’ tab. Under that tab, there is a text box, in it, change the username according to your preference. Then, to confirm this change, click on the ‘OK’ button.
Using the Local Users and Groups
This is the last guideline on the way to change the username on the Windows 10 via the Local Users and Groups. In order to perform the exact steps, follow the lines that are provided underneath.
- At first, right-click the ‘Windows’ logo on the taskbar. This will open the new dialog box called ‘Run’. Next, within that dialog box, write the text that follows – “lusrmgr.msc” on the blank area. Then, tap on the ‘Enter’ key.
- At this moment a new window will appear, that has a name ‘lusrmgr – [Local Users and Groups (Local)\Users]. Inside that window, go to the left panel and then, select the ‘Users’ folder.
- Now, move to the area right next to the left panel and then, choose a specific username under the ‘Name’ column. After that, right-click on it and then, from the popup menu choose the ‘Rename’ option.
- Lastly, type in the new username on the ‘Name’ column.
Wrapping it Up…
This article provides you with extensive steps on the previous section that will guide you on
how to change the username on Windows 10. Despite having three elaborate methods, still, if you are unable to change the username of the Windows 10 then, immediately seek help from an expert.