“Windows can’t communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)” is an error message which the users might get after running a troubleshoot when you can’t connect with the internet using your computer. If this is the case, you are worried about and looking for the exact solutions, then you have come to the right article.
This article will match your query by providing you the useful solutions to the problem. It is advised to read this article thoroughly and till the end before using them to get the perfect and complete knowledge of the steps.
Windows Can’t Communicate With The Device Or Resource: Effective Fixes
Here, from this article, you are going to learn the effective methods to resolve the Windows failing to communicate with the device or resource issue. So, let’s start.
Method 1: Update your Network Drivers
According to the few users, they got the Windows can’t communicate with the device or resource fix by updating the network drivers. The steps you have to follow to update your network drivers are as explained below.
To update the network drivers connecting with the internet is an essential requirement. But if you are not able to connect your system with the internet, you need to download the required network driver update with the help of another device which works normally.
Once you have successfully downloaded the driver in another device transfer that to your PC which shows Windows unable to communicate with the device or resource error message while troubleshooting this internet glitch. Go through each step to learn the full procedure to update your network driver during the problematic condition of your system.
Download Network Driver Update on Another PC and Transfer it to the Erroneous PC
The foremost task that you need to perform as said earlier to update network driver is to take the help of another device to download the update network driver. For this purpose, at first, you need to open a browser on the other device. And then, go to the network manufacturing website using the browser. After that, get the updated version network driver which is suitable according to your system configuration in which you have got the error message.
Once, you get the matching driver according to your PC configuration, download it. Next, transfer the downloaded driver to the error showing PC with the help of a USB storage device. After that, follow the further instructions as explained below.
Open Device Manager and Update Network Driver
After transferring the update network driver to your PC, proceed with the further instructions to solve the Windows can’t communicate with the device or resource issue.
- Open the Run bar window with the help of the Windows and the letter R key. Press both the keys (Win+R) at a time.
- Now, on the Run bar, type “devmgmt.msc” without the quotations.
- Next, click on OK or press the Enter button. On doing this, the Device Manager window will open on the screen.
- Further, under the Device Manager window, scroll down to the Network adapters option and then double-click on it to expand.
- Then, from the Network adapters expanded list, right-click on the driver option for which you have downloaded the update and transferred that on this PC.
- After that, from the Menu window, select the Update Driver Software option. This will open up the “How do you want to search for driver software?” window with the options that are provided below:
- Search automatically for the updated driver software
- Browse my computer for driver software
- Click on Browse my computer for driver software, this will get you a window open. With the help of the window, navigate to the location where you have placed the file on your computer from the USB storage device. Once you locate the file, double-click on it to load and then follow the further instructions displayed on the screen to install it on your PC.
- At last, close all the open windows and restart your PC along with the network device.
- Now, when you open your computer and find the network device LED stable, hopefully, you can browse the internet successfully without getting this error message.
In case, after updating your network device driver, if still, the error exists, try the further method.
Method 2: Ensure the Correct Network Properties Settings
Sometimes, due to the inappropriate network properties settings, the Windows can’t communicate error occurs. If this is the case, then to solve the error, you need to follow some simple steps as explained below.
Launch Control Panel and Set the View by into Large Icons
The primary steps to follow to ensure the correct network properties settings are listed below:
- At first, tap on both the WIndows and the letter R button at a time. This will open the Run bar window on the screen.
- Then, on the Run bar, type control.
- After that, click on the OK button. This will open the Control Panel window open on the screen.
- Now, check the View by section of the Control Panel window that is present near to the right top-most portion on the screen. If the “View by” is set as anything else rather than Large icons, then you need to drop-down the menu list and select the Large icons option from the list.
Go to Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties
The secondary steps that you need to follow to ensure the correct network properties settings. These steps are cited below:
- After ensuring the View by into Large icons, from the Control Panel window, click on Network and Sharing Center.
- Then, from the left-hand side panel of the window, select the Change adapter settings option.
- Further, on the next window, you will see both the Local Area Connection and Wireless Network Connection options. Right-click on the network type that you are using to browse the internet from the two options (Local Area Connection/ Wireless Network Connection).
- After that, to continue the method, you need to select the Properties option from the menu list.
- Now, under the Network Properties window, ensure that you are in the Networking tab.
- Next, from the available options under the Networking tab, go to Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and ensure that the checkbox for it is active.
- After that, click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) to highlight.
- Next, select the Properties button from the Network Properties window that is present beside the inactive Uninstall button. After clicking on the Properties button, you will get the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties window open.
Ensure that the Checkboxes are Active
The end steps to ensure the correct network properties settings are described below:
- On the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties window, ensure that both the below-said options check-boxes are active.
- In case, if you detect any or both the options are not active, then to make them active, you just need to click on the checkbox beside to them. If the option is active, then you can identify them easily by seeing a dot inside the circle related to the option.
- Obtain an IP address automatically
- Obtain DNS server address automatically
- At last, click on the OK button to save the changes.
- Then, restart your computer and the network device to verify that the error has been resolved.
Hopefully, next time when you are going to connect to the internet, you will not get the Windows can’t communicate error message window on the screen.
All these are the complete methods by the application of which you can fix the Windows can’t communicate with the device or resource error efficiently. If you fail to troubleshoot this issue on your own, then you can contact a professional to get the issue resolved.