Windows Shell Experience Host was introduced for Windows 10 to work as a visual manager. It offers a windowed interface for all of the software installed on your computer.
Though this process works fine, it tends to consume too much memory for some users.
Therefore, it is essential to examine your system for Windows Shell Experience Host process consuming excessive CPU. This article has clearly explained how to fix what’s wrong with your system with minimum efforts.
Methods to Fix Windows Shell Experience Host High Memory Issue
Here are some easy yet effective ways to decrease the RAM/CPU usage of your PC. So, follow the methods and pick up the one that will serve your purpose. The same set of solutions will be able to fix a non-functional Window Shell Experience Host as well.
1. Update the Operating System
The Windows Operating System needs periodic updating to keep availing the all of it fully. Otherwise, you might experience that your Windows is running sluggishly and displaying errors. So, follow the steps given below to install the available updates of the Operating System;
- Click the Start menu and choose ‘Update and Security’ from the context menu.
- On the Windows Update screen, check whether any updates are pending or not.
- If there are any pending updates, then click the ‘Install’ button next to each of them.
- Click the ‘Agree’ button on the resulting popup to install the pending updates.
- If the Windows Update screen doesn’t show any suggested updates, then click the ‘Check for updates’ button on that screen.
- It will prompt Windows to check for updates and install them automatically on your PC.
- After installing the updates, Open Task Manager from the Start menu or the Windows search bar.
- Then, check whether Windows Shell Experience Host is using less memory. If the memory consumption remains the same, then proceed to the next method.
2. Disable the Background Slideshow
Background slideshow let you change your favorite wallpapers and enjoy them every minute. But, as per the opinion of many users, Windows Shell Experience Host takes up too much memory due to this activity. Therefore, disable the background slideshow and opt for a static background picture for your PC by the following steps:
- Press Windows logo key and ‘I’ at the same time to access the settings window.
- Click the ‘Personalization’ menu and select ‘Background’ in the left pane.
- Choose ‘Picture’ from the drop-down menu and tap the ‘Save’ button to save the changes.
- Restart the system to see if this trick has worked for you or not.
3. Turn Off the Automatic Color Changing Feature
Disabling the automatic color changing option can stop Windows Shell Experience Host from eating into your computer memory. Go by the following steps in order to turn this feature off:
- Go to Settings and click ‘Colors’ in the left pane of the settings window.
- Scroll down the window and choose a color section as per your preference.
- Then, uncheck the ‘Automatically pick an accent color from my background’ option and click the ‘Save Changes’ button below.
- If the problem persists, then move on to the next method.
4. Run a SFC Scan on Your PC
Windows Shell Experience Host might be draining your resources if any corrupted system files are present in your PC. Thus, you need to replace these files by the System File Checker Utility as soon as possible:
- Type ‘cmd’ in the Windows search box and press ‘Enter’ to search for the Command Prompt.
- Right-click on Command Prompt from the search results and select the Run as administrator’ option from the context menu.
- Type ‘sfc/scannow’ on the Command Prompt window and press ‘Enter’ to launch the System File Checker utility.
- Wait until the tool scans your PC and fix the corrupted system files present in it.
- Close the Command Prompt window and restart the PC so that the corrupted system files are replaced at the startup.
- Now, verify whether the process has really worked for you. Else, move right away to the next method below:
5. Limit the Amount of CPU Usage
Here we have discussed how to limit the amount of CPU the windows Shell Experience Host process can utilize:
- Click the Windows icon, type ‘task manager’ in the search bar and press ‘Enter.’
- Select Task Manager from the list of search results to open the Task Manager window.
- Navigate to the ‘Details’ tab and look for the Windows Shell Experience Host.
- Right-click on the above process and choose the ‘Set Affinity’ option.
- Select your preferred CPU limit from the ‘Set Affinity’ option and click the ‘Save’ button to apply the changes.
6. Repair Corrupted Registry Entries
- Right-click on the Start menu and open the Command Prompt.
- Type ‘regedit’ in the command line and press ‘Enter’ to launch the Registry Editor.
- Select the Windows Shell Experience Host related key and click the ‘Export’ option.
- Then, choose a folder from the ‘Save In’ list to save the backup of the particular key.
- Decide on a name for that key, enter it in the ‘File Name’ box and click the ‘Save’ button.
- After that, go to the ‘Export Range’ menu and check the ‘Selected branch’ box.
- Tap the ‘Save’ button again to save the specific key with a ‘.reg file’ extension.
7. Scan the PC for Malware
A malicious program might be violating your system and forcing Windows Shell Experience to consume more memory. It is an effective solution for a Windows Shell experience host stopped working issue. Therefore, use Windows Defender Security suite to scan for malware by the following steps:
- At first, open the Settings app and expand the ‘Update and Security’ section.
- Now, choose ‘Windows Defender’ and click the ‘Shield’ icon in the left pane.
- Click the ‘Advanced Scan’ button and select the ‘Full Scan’ option to scan your PC for malware.
- After scanning your PC if Windows Defender security finds malware, then it will remove it immediately from your PC.
8. Restore the System
Often a simple system restore ends all problems and thus you can perform a system restore for your PC. The process is quite simple if you follow the following steps:
- Type ‘system restore’ in the search box and press ‘Enter.’
- Select system restore from the search result and click ‘Ok’ on the confirmation dialog box.
- Then select a time before the Windows Shell Experience Host started making problems.
- The system will restore to the selected time and restart your PC once or twice.
9. Restart Windows Explorer
Restart Windows Explorer in order to fix a bug that is causing problems with Windows Shell Experience Host process:
- Press ‘Ctrl, Shift, and Esc’ keys altogether to open Task Manager directly on your PC.
- On the Task Manager window, click the ‘Process’ tab, right-click on Windows Explorer and choose ‘Restart.’
- After restarting Windows Explorer check whether the problem is fixed or not.
10. Create a New User Profile
This method will fix the issue if it was occurring due to a corrupted profile. Here’s how can you create a new user account on your PC:
- Open Settings and navigate to the ‘Accounts’ section on the Settings window.
- Click ‘Family and other people’ in the left panel and check the box for ‘Add someone else to this PC.
- Click the ‘I don’t have this person’s sign in information’ link and then ‘Add a user without a Microsoft account’ link.
- Enter the desired username in the field allotted for it and click the ‘Next’ button.
- Check whether the problem is repeating itself with a new user account or not.
11. Enter the Safe Mode
It is the last method you can try out to fix Windows Shell Experience Host related issues. Follow the steps mentioned below to enable the Safe Mode:
- Press and hold the ‘Shift’ key and choose the ‘Restart’ option on your computer’s screen.
- Click ‘Troubleshoot’ and choose ‘Advanced Options.’
- Click ‘Startup Settings’ and tap the ‘Restart’ button to restart the system.
- Once the PC restarts, select an appropriate version of Safe Mode by pressing the corresponding key.
- Hope, no more problem will arise after you have entered the Safe Mode.
After reading this article, share your experience about it with us. If you find it risky to edit the Windows Registry, then consult with a technical expert. For any more queries or additional help, leave a reply in the comment section below.